March 06, 2012

Baby Steps


Very happy with myself ... 
I told myself I was going to bake as my indoor 'trying new things' and I did TODAY!

So last time it rained procrastination came to visit and stayed the whole afternoon, I know how rude, but I baked today with the boys.

It was POURING and today was the day.. starting with cookies, baby steps leading to the Grand finale!  
Cookies you say.. I know would you believe I have never baked a cookie.
Oh sigh so many women I know are just simply horrified that I don't/can't/won't (not sure) but I have started the journey... I will certainly be no Martha Stewart but I'm giving it a go.




Lesson #1       The cookie dough expands so I have really big cookies 
                     (the boys are happy)
Lesson #2        Don't try to roll the mixture into balls just spoon onto tray with a teaspoon 
                     (way to sticky and wet and got all over my hands)
Lesson #3       Don't poke your finger into the cookie to see if it's ready ... they are soft

                     until they come out of the oven and cool 
                     (So those ones are mine x 4)





I am pretty happy with these but I will test them tomorrow at morning meeting.



                                         


I would love to hear your tips or stories about baking, maybe I can learn 
from some of your mistakes? I have done the cookies so I am thinking I
 have moved up to - Muffins but not just any THE BIG ones!


Check us out on our group facebook page where we all share 
our daily efforts in trying new things!


FH







4 comments:

  1. Well done Fiona, sometimes for something different I put a paddlepop stick in the side of the dough before baking. The kids then eat it like a lollipop.
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh now that sounds FUN.. Thanks Mandy will try and post.
    Feel free to send us a photo or post on facebook group page

    FH

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome job Fi! Another thing I also like to to is to roll the dough into a log and cut slices - you can make them as thick or thin as you like - and put these slices on the tray for baking into cookies. This is also good for 'portion control' as you can make as many or as few cookies as you like and freeze the remainder, all ready to be defrosted for the next time you want to bake those delicious morsels!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok Bec my cookie dough was sticky and wet definitely not possible to roll.. I did something wrong there. But they tasted great and were a hit a this mornings meeting...
    I must say though I'm a little excited to try again so I can roll it out and freeze some too!
    Thanks for the tips.

    FH

    ReplyDelete